For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I got to take a tour of Christy’s blog, Life of a Modern Housewife. Her blog is not only fun, but also lots of healthy ideas and even workouts she shares. There were several recipes that intrigued me, but not surprisingly I still gravitated towards desserts. This Cream Cheese Pound Cake is on my list still for sure, but since we have been running around on our spring break her Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies really appealed to me. While I know I would love the original recipe with the blueberries and oat flour, I wanted to make a good ‘snack’ cookie that the kids would eat. I played around with the recipe and made a few modifications to use what I had on hand and make these look more like a treat to the boys.
Regardless, I can’t wait to try the original version too with some blueberries or even huckleberries. I’ll bet these make an awesome on-the-go breakfast cookie!
So, what modifications did I make? Well, I wanted more of a honey/almond/chocolate cookie, so I ended up using white whole wheat flour along with a bit of almond flour. Then I also added some almond extract and some honey along with using a muscabado sugar instead of the golden brown sugar (roughly the same type of overall flavor, but without the moisture which the honey could add back in along with some more flavor). For the chocolate I wanted to use a bar of Toblerone with crunchy salted almonds I found at the store last week. It was just right for a treat within the cookie without being overwhelming and really turning it into a dessert).
Next time I’d like to try adding some wheat germ and flax seed too. I think it would go really well in the cookie and would even give them a bigger boost.
You can check out the recipe roundup below for more great ideas!
Oatmeal Almond Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Adapted from Life of a Modern Housewife
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal/Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Natural Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 stick (4 oz.) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Muscabado Sugar
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 1 large Egg
- 1 1/2 cups Quick-cooking Oats
- 1 – 3.5 ounce chocolate bar with almonds (I used Toblerone with honey, salted almonds and nougat), roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (or butter and flour a muffin top/whoopie pie pan).
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, almond meal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, honey and vanilla on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg just until incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture to batter, stirring just until absorbed. Then stir in oats and chopped chocolate. Scoop into 16 golf ball sized portions.
- Space cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (or press into the whoopie pie pan).
- Bake 12-15 minutes until just golden around the edges and set. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool.