At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I AM SERIOUSLY SO OVER WINTER. I’ve pretty much decided that if most everything I make reminds me of warmer weather then I can keep thinking Spring!
For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I was given Kate’s blog, Kitchen Trial & Error – which I think is a fantastic food blog name by the way! And it fits because it is a fantastic food blog! I kept coming back to a recipe she shared for Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies though. You know, that’s not surprising considering my recent obsession with all things citrus, like the Meyer Lemon Meringues and the Wild Orange Madeleines that have been coming out of my kitchen!
Anyway, her description of the cookies was spot on for what I’ve been looking for to try and hack a favorite cookie of mine that a couple of local bakeries make. It’s a sugar cookie with just the right chew and texture that has broken and crushed lemonhead candies inside and usually has a little lemon glaze on top.
When I read the ingredients list for Kate’s lemon sugar cookies it reminded me of my favorite sugar cookie recipe (I’ll share that soon!) which also hascream cheese in the dough. Add to this that Kate’s cookies are all simply stirred together in a bowl and couldn’t be easier to make (or if you are like me and feel excessively lazy you could bust out the hand mixer).
I did change the recipe just a bit, mainly due to my laziness again (I hate partial leftovers so I fiddled with the fats to use whole portions of butter and cream cheese packages), and to add in the lemonheads and adjust a bit for high altitude and the flavor I was looking for.
These cookies were lemony perfection. I didn’t even get around to adding the glaze, but they didn’t really need it and stored so nicely. We even thought they were better the next day when the candy was no longer crunchy in the cookie at all (the candy pieces melt into the dough making little candy filled spots that can be a little crunchy depending on how much you crush the candy before adding it to the dough).
Please do bring some sunshine to your day and make these! And head on over to Kate’s blog and the other SRC club members links for lots of fantastic ideas!
Chewy Lemonhead Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Kitchen Trial & Error
Makes about 36 2-inch cookies
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon milk
finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup lemonhead candies, crushed (put in a heavy plastic bag and smash them and crack them with a rolling pin or pan)
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and lemon zest and rub together until fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese, butter and oil to the bowl with the sugar and use a whisk or hand mixer to beat until almost smooth.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla and lemon juice and stir to combine well.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined using a rubber spatula.
- Add the crushed lemonhead candies and stir to incorporate.
- Scoop the dough into heaping teaspoons onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until puffed and mostly set – they will finish setting while cooling and the sides will just be turning golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet while baking the next pan before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container.